The area that is now Copiah County was ceded to the United States by the Choctaw tribe in the treaty known as the "Doak's Stand Treaty" on October 18, 1820.  The name Copiah comes from the Choctaw language and is a combination of two words -- Coi (panther) and Apahyah (to call out)  and thus "calling panther".

Formed on January 21, 1823, Copiah County was formed by a division of Hinds and Yazoo counties.  At that time Copiah included all of its present area as well as all of Simpson County, about one third of Lincoln, and about one thousand acres of Franklin.  The county now contains 769 square miles and is the seventh largest area in the state.  Some of the early communities were Coor's Springs, which was the first county seat, Gallatin, Crystal Springs, Centerpoint, Conn, Union School, and Georgetown.  The town of Hazlehurst the current county seat, was established as a railroad stop in 1856.

The Copiah County Courthouse, built in 1902, underwent extensive renovations to restore the historic character of its upper floors.  Wooden floors were revealed, and the dome is now visible from the ground floor, as the courthouse was originally designed.  Renovations were completed in the summer of 2008.



Where can I register my vehicle and get car tags?
At the Tax Collectors Office.

Where do I get a marriage license?
Marriage License applications are available in the Circuit Court Clerk's office.

How do I get my road fixed?
Call the County Road Department Office to request road repair: (601) 894-1858.

Where can I get a map of my property?
Contact or visit the Tax Assessor Office.

Where can I pay or get information about my current property tax bill?
The Tax Collector accepts current (not delinquent) property taxes.

Where can I pay delinquent property taxes?
The Chancery Court Clerk accepts delinquent property taxes.

When does the Board of Supervisors regularly meet?
The Board of Supervisors meets regularly on the first and third Monday of every month.  Additional meetings are scheduled as necessary.  Contact the County Administrator's office for the Board of Supervisor's calendar.

How do I contact my supervisor?
Call the Board of Supervisor's office: (601) 894-1858.

How do I register to vote?
Call the Circuit Court Clerk's office: (601) 894-1241.

Where do I file homestead exemption?
The Tax Assessor's office accepts applications for homestead exemption from January 2 through April 1, every year.